[linux-audio-user] Note tuning and quantizer in audio files

Alejandro Lopez alex_osiris at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 09:38:55 EDT 2004

Hi Ron,

I'm sorry to say I totally lack any hands-on experience with these. I
sometimes hear of this or that software which makes use of this technology,
I seem to remember being told about some plugin for Cubase VST something
like 5 years ago already for instance, supposedly it did audio quantize
automagically. Also something like a couple of years ago someone told me
about another tool for Windows which has its own frontend. With it, you
would use samples to actually compose melodies and the software would adjust
notes. All things I've never tried myself. As for Linux, I'm absolutely
clueless in all respects. However, I can well remember that, a bit to my
embarrassment, our engineer once used a hardware version of a tuner in a
trumpet take (that was me playing, oh well!). It was one of these module
shaped affects that you use as send-return. The results were just amazing. I
believe they are used all the time in studios as I've always seen them
around since then.

>High quality audio pitch, time stretch and
quantization would all be very useful in a DAW like
Ardour. I work on enough projects that require
extensive editing or rebuilding that command line
example applications for a library would be useful.

I'm sorry I can't help but I definitely agree, the results are potentially
so much higher if you can make good use of this sort of things.

>Alex, are you the person who announced their intention
to develop these types of libraries on the Linux
Consortium mailing list?

I wish I was! :-(

Cheers,

Alex