[linux-audio-user] ogg confusion

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Tue Jul 6 10:48:09 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 14.35, Jan Depner wrote:
> That sets the nominal bitrate.  What you are seeing is the actual
> bitrate for sections that don't need to be encoded at 128.  In other
> places it will go above 128.  Play your .ogg on xmms and watch the
> bitrate display.  I don't use the -b switch when I encode.  I normally
> just use -q 5.
>
> Jan
>
> On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 04:19, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> > I'm trying out oggenc under linux/unstable, but I'm confused! Using
> > "oggenc -b 128" ends with a file with bitrate around 60-70 acording the
> > the report printed by oggenc...

If I remember correctly vorbis does not have a constant bitrate option. The -b
is probably used only for "hinting" at which bitrate you wish to have. It
could very well be as Jan suggests, it will get higher after a while, or it's
simply a bug.
Anyway you are probably better of using the -q switch.

For your information. Testing done lately
http://www.rjamorim.com/test/multiformat128/results.html
suggests that the alternative vorbis encoder
http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/ gives superior quality (to the
standard encoder, and pretty much anything else).

/Robert

--
http://spamatica.se/music/