[linux-audio-user] Re: Note tuning and quantizer in audio files

Them idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Jul 6 14:01:05 EDT 2004

Alastair Couper wrote:

> The technology is interesting, to be sure. But what does it say about
> the  state of artistry these days ? I recently read an interview with
> David  Crosby, decrying the rise of autotune plugins and the like. He
> spent his  energies on learning to sing on pitch. These days performers
> don't need to  sing at all, they just mouth tracks that were autotuned
> in the studio. And  another interview has James Brown saying: don't use
> a drum machine, learn  to play the drums. The best music comes from the
> mastery of an instrument  or vocal skill, not from editing.
>
> I have watched as I try various tools to bang my playing into shape,
> and  am finally deciding that this is the wrong way to go. Spitiual
> death is  around the corner. Live music is best. Music is meant to be
> PLAYED after  all, not worked. Or worked over.
>
> A minority opinion from a nobody. Given the state of the "industry"
> though, it's going to be like Photoshop for audio, where there is no
> physical point of reference anymore, and anything can be morphed into
> anything.

This is kinda what I was hinting at earlier... this kind of stuff tends
to sound over-produced and manufactured, IMHO.  I think the life and
breath of music gets taken away by trying to make it too perfect sounding.

But as for using a drum machine, some of us have no choice.  I don't
have the money to buy a full kit, let alone have the equipment to record
one, let alone have the time to take lessons to play at a skill level
high enough for the music I want to play. :-)

But I would never use a drum machine live.  I'd hire a real drummer for
that. :-)

--
Rule of Feline Frustration:
         When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly