[linux-audio-user] Soundcards & preamps [a bit OT]

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 19:29:50 EDT 2004

--- Christophe Vescovi <vescovi at lpsc.in2p3.fr> wrote:
> Sampo Savolainen a écrit :
>

> > I could buy a second mixer, but I would like to
> have 'proper' preamps. A
> > mixer is full of all sorts of stuff, which I
> really don't need. I wouldn't
> > like to pay the price for a mackie just for the
> pres. For the money I could
> > buy better pres.
> >

> Not so sure, for 500€, you can buy a Mackie 1402VLZ
> Pro with 6 good mic
> preamp. The mic preamps of the mackies are very
> good, if you use the
> insert to pick the signal just after the preamp.

I used to own a Mackie 8bus but I sold it and bought a
Tascam DM-24. The DM-24 is about 1/4 the price of the
8bus.

Tascam's preamps have always sucked and that's why
their junk is so cheap. I Insert Avalon and Soundtrac
Solo preamps and skip those of the DM-24.

Because of my existing preamps, I do not regret
selling the Mackie. Here's some marketspeak for the
Mackie 8bus that I just found:
Mackie B248 Recording Console
The 8•Bus series was designed to eliminate the last
barrier between you and audio creativity -- the 32•8,
24•8 are capable of sound quality equal to or better
than that of $100,000 consoles. 8•Bus con

As far as I can tell, I don't feel any less creative
working on the DM-24 than I did on the 8bus. Maybe I'm
just not creative or some marketing people need to
stop selling and smokin' crack. :)

Something interesting I learned about preamps is the
assembly, handling and shipping costs the manufacturer
and retailer around $200.00 U.S. for 1U and 2U
devices. When the preamp costs around $250.00 U.S. the
obvious question is what's inside the unit and how
good is the quality of those components. Not entirely
related but to be somewhat fair, plenty of songs that
were produced on Alesis 16bit blackface ADATs made the
radio charts.

I don't know what preamps would be ideal for any
remote work I'd be interested in doing. Doesn't RME
have some nice 1U or 2U stuff and isn't there a
Focusrite producer pack or something that includes a
Blue mic? I imagine my strategy on a limited budget
would be to purchase 2 channels of something real nice
and eight more channels of whatever that I wouldn't
hesitate to toss in the garbage.

I think a laptop or rack profile computer and preamps
with a flat screen monitor mounted in an Anvil case
would be pretty slick in the field. Anyone remember
those Samsonite luggage adds where the gorilla smacked
the luggage around in a jail cell? :)

ron

 The