[linux-audio-user] Delta 1010LT problems still...Desperate!!

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Thu Jul 8 14:09:37 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 10:45, RickTaylor at speakeasy.net wrote:
> On 08-Jul-2004 Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> }  Still have some light "snap, crackle and pop" problems here. They don't
> }  seem to be related to X-runs. I set Qjackctl in "Soft mode" but don't
> }  know if that matters?
> }
> }  I have run this thing 8 ways 'till Sunday! Forget 96kHz! It does it
> }  intermittently with Chorus on a single mixer channel in Ardour patched
> }  in Qjackctl from the Mic preamp in 1 of the 1010 to the Ardour channel
> }  with Chorus LADSPA plugin and then out to output 5 of the card and into
> }  my mixer. I also run reverb in another channel with dedicated I/O's from
> }  the sound card as I do with a delay. I have raised the buffer rates and
> }  tried different (lower) sample rates. etc. I have /tmp setup as tmpfs
> }  although Gnome system monitor does not always show that it is there?
> }
> }  I'm using the "default" setting in Qjackctl. I have not been able to get
> }  a .asoundrc setup for HW:0 that gives me the 8 ins and outs. Would this
> }  be part of the problem?
> }
> }  This is on an Asus A7V8X-MX SE Mobo with 2500 Athalon XP. 512M
> }  Ram...Delta is the ONLY card in the PCI slots. Onboard audio disabled.
> }  ALL unnecessary peripheral stuff turned off in BIOS. Delta on IRQ 10
> }  with nothing but system devices on prior interrupts. All in Mandrake
> }  10.0 running the tried and tested 2.4.22mm kernel. All being run as
> }  root.
> }
> }  It is close in terms of quality but for this intermittent popping. I
> }  have 2 gigs Saturday and am running out of ideas.
>
>  You have the same problem with other cards? {Like the onboard}

Have not tried it in this setup but I guess I need too.

>  Switched pci slots?

Did a lot of that in trying to get the interrupt order sorted but not
sound tested...will do that too.

>  Is it possible it's some other hardware {like cables} problem?
> Why are you thinking it's a software problem?
Just sounds like when you have buffers too low, etc but not as bad.
Other than that not any solid evidence that it is software. It does not
sound like a cable problem typically would...like hum, or maybe crackle
if something is disturbed.

>  Got an alternative? {You don't have time to be screwing around.}

Yup! Cyanide! :)  I guess I do in a pinch but it's ugly!!

R~