[linux-audio-user] distros

kmd lazone at pi.be
Tue Jul 13 08:11:16 EDT 2004

Timothy Alan Gorman wrote:
> Brian Redfern wrote:
>
>> I like suse 9.2 myself, but I install for free over ftp, and then grab
>> all
>> of the development libraries so its easy to recompile from source when I
>> need to.
>> The other distro I like is demudi, but suse 9.2 comes with the 2.6
>> kernel,
>> so my usb stuff works better than with the 2.4 kernel, and I don't
>> have to
>> recompile my kernel to have decent latency performance.
>>

> Check out audioslack....
> (slackware packages)

anyone using mandrake 10.0 for audio stuff? i have an RME digipad96/8
pad. use sound with alsa+jack, installed ardour, rosegarden, several
synths,.. it's nice to see how audio is steadily growing on linux. but i
was wondering about the kernel. can i use the 2.6 kernel or should i use
the special compiled multimedia 2.4 kernel (for mandrake, via contrib
sources). and i have trouble as well to play with jack without being
root, but i guess i need to do some more tweaking and experimenting there.

regards,
kmd