[linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

ricktaylor at speakeasy.net ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 13 16:01:37 EDT 2004

 Don't get too serious about it... I just tossed that out as an example. It's probably a bad one. It "is" simply for the sake of discussion. I'm not sugggesting that there's anything evil afoot.

 Why do other programs need to "catch up" with a program that's designed to enable them?

> > }  I realize the Lego analogy is a little broken.
> > }
> > }  Anyway, at the end of the day, if Linux Audio started to need non-free
> > }  stuff to be good, I'd just buy a Mac.  For me, the core of what makes
> >
> >  Linux has always included a large number of non-free programs. If you're
> > obsessive like I am and run around checking out every available program that
> > a given platform has to offer... Linux can include a very large number of
> > traditionally copyrighted and commercial programs. I think linux needs to
> > include a number of large commercial offerings like those solutions provided by
> > Oracle and IBM. {Money... and all of the benefits that might be derived from
> > it.}
>
> I think those kind of things can help corporations who have more money
> than time to throw at a problem, but am unclear as to the benefit that
> the ordinary user derives from them, although it probably exists.

 :} Trickle down software economics.

 In this case I think it has some basis in fact:

 "Sgi has a fairly large corporate structure in place... they devlop software. They have the means to make software that is "Sgi-like" {for lack of a better word.} If they give you their software {which is a unique product of their capabilities, market and experiences.} and you give them yours in return... everyone benefits."

 You use their tools to make a buck... you benefit.

 You both benefit at different levels.

> >  To me... the variety of choices available on linux is much more important than
> > the open source thing... The copyleft idea strikes me as a really usable and
> > actually somewhat noble alternative to a traditional corporate structure... The
> > idea of an entirely open source strikes me as a bit dillettante and maybe a bit
> > too high minded and idealistic to be practical. It's simply too open to
> > politics, cliquishness and similar sorts of abuse {even racism... see Elvis} to
> > be practical. {:} 'Course I sometimes feel this way about the internet itself.
> > I'm probably wrong in those feelings. I don't think I am in my feelings about
> > "open source".}
>
> To my knowledge, my system is entirely open source, with the exception
> of acroread and flash, and it runs well.  On the desktop, I think
> paid-for corporate involvement can help with unification efforts,
> packaging, and hardware support issues, but that it's better if the
> changes are freed eventually.

 I'm thinking that both flash and pdf are pretty nice additions to linux. I don't think the changes can help but be "freed" occasionally. {Regardless of license.}

 Maybe we need to specify what we mean by "open source".

> > }  the whole thing tick and even worth using at all (ignoring the wonderful
> > }  unix-y benefits that Macs now have too) is that it's free.  I think the
> > }  reaction, "Everyone else is releasing free stuff, you can bloody well
> > }  release free stuff too!" isn't entirely unjustified.  As for music
> >
> >  I think it's totally unjustified and that it's that very attitude that is at
> > the heart of the problem I described above.
>
> I give away free time to F/OSS, and have made less-than-profitable
> career choices (i.e. grad school) so that I could hack on free software,
> why should I be expected to receive with open arms people who want to
> build upon this free base and not give back, let alone _pay_ for it?

 Because you made that choice?

> > }  shareware developers, frankly I think they'd have a better time writing
> > }  for OS X anyway, as a real shareware community actually exists.
> >
> >  Then they should just go away?
>
> I think corporations are the only ones really willing to pay for
> individual applications on Linux.  I'm personally not shelling out for
> shareware when I can read, test, and contribute to free software.  Time
> is money, I guess, and that's how I'd like to pay, even if it costs me
> more after the conversion (which indicates "libre" is more important
> than "gratis" to me).  I think other people feel the same way.

 I had the impression they have nothing to do with each other

> So, yes, from a business perspective, shareware developers for Linux
> should go away and target OS X instead.  From an ethical perspective, as
> long as I'm not forced to use it and there always exist alternatives, I
> guess I don't mind.  I start to mind when everybody just uses the
> non-free stuff and this results in the death of otherwise good free
> projects.
>
> Like Tim just said, I think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree,
> since I'm not likely to convince you that 100% free is a good and
> realistic thing, and you're not likely to convince me otherwise (I know
> _I'm_ starting to repeat myself).  I hope at least we can see a little
> where the other is coming from now :)

  :} Tim's message was first in the queue. I answered this there.