[linux-audio-user] Mellotron

Neil Durant lists at sphere3.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 21:41:45 EDT 2004

Ryan wrote:
> The original mellotron had 6 feet of tape played at 7.5 ips (about 9.6
> seconds of play per note) with 35 keys that'd be about 5 and a half
> minutes of sampled sound... how big would that be?

9.6 seconds per note sounds a bit optimistic, and a bit overly precise!!!
My Mellotron M400 notes typically last between 7-8 seconds, and they're all
slightly different in length!

I must get round to sampling mine some time - I have the following sounds
on two tape racks:

  8-Choir
  Russian choir
  M400 strings
  M300 strings
  Church organ
  Cello

Incidentally, would there be any copyright issues sampling the Mellotron
tapes and redistributing?  After all they're recordings like anything else.

Neil
--
Neil Durant
<lists at sphere3.co.uk>