[linux-audio-user] Good Studio Hearphones

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 21 17:59:39 EDT 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:30:36PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>>That's true, and because of this, AKG isstill selling out the older
>>models very cheap. I got my own 240DF for little money. 240DF is the
>>the reference headphone at german radio stations. I see them
>>everywhere at work. Still for our PCs at work, we bought the lower
>>resistance newer AKG-140 models, because the directly plug into the
>>soundcard there.
>

> FWIW, I've had no trouble driving my 600-ohm K240 phones
> directly from a consumer soundcard, or anything else.
> I guess it depends how loud you want to go, for me it's fine.
> I don't know if the efficiency is the same with the various 240 models.
> (K240, 240DF etc).

I had a pair of K141's, and I had to crank the headphone control on my
mixer to 10/10 (with per-channel levels at 0 db).  With 271S's and
anything else, louder than 5/10 is actually painful.  But, I really
loved the sound of the K141's as well (they fell apart eventually).

By the way, is any old leather softener fine for the ear pieces?  I find
that the hardened leather hurts my ears after a while.

Chris