[linux-audio-user] Good Studio Hearphones

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Jul 22 17:22:49 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 07:14, Mark Knecht wrote:

> As for the Sennheisers, I would suggest that you make sure they are
> comfortable to your head and ears. I have never been as comforable with
> them on as I am with the ones I own. If headphones aren't comfortable
> then you won't be happy wearing them.

Wow, this is the first time i hear Senns are not comfortable. All the
reviews i've seen are raving about the opposite.

Are you talking about the high-end HD580/600/650 or about lesser models?

I own the HD600 and several times i've fallen asleep while wearing them
:-) (it's a good thing i don't squirm much while sleeping, because these
cans are huge)
Woke up in the morning, no problem, i was still wearing them and my ears
didn't hurt, my head didn't hurt, i forgot they were there until i moved
my head for the first time. I was just feeling a bit sweaty under the
cans.

They almost don't touch the ears, they're like a cup that contains the
earlobe within, and the "lip" of the cup presses gently on the skull all
around the ear, hence creating a closed acoustic room. The pressure is
very uniformly distributed on the entire circumference (the phones have
joints which allow them to rotate so as to adapt to your head's shape).
The cup is made out of rubber sponge or something like that (soft yet it
remembers its shape), wrapped in velvet and it's anatomically shaped. I
guess, for someone who has smaller ear lobes, the phones will not touch
their ears at all.
Even the headstrip (headband) is padded with a thick rubber sponge
"caterpillar" that gently rests on the skull.

Despite being very large, these phones are extremely lightweight.
Probably because of the carbon fiber they use to build them.

The headband feels a bit tight in the first weeks, but then it seems to
loosen up and adapt to your head. I actually like tight bands, they
prevent the cans from falling off if you jerk your head sideways, so i
liked the band better at the beginning. Now i have to be more careful,
but they're more comfy.

By contrast, the Grado SR125 make my ears hurt after 30 minutes.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/