[linux-audio-user] good studio monitors

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 23 04:49:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 04:04:00PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> I'm quite familiar with a wide range of high-end studio headphones, but
> i'm much less familiar with studio monitors.
>
> So, what do you guys own or use? What do you recommend?
>
> I own a pair of near-field Alesis M1 Active MkII. It seems like they're
> "value" monitors, which means they're mediocre-sounding (in the studio
> monitors league) but they didn't punch a hole in my wallet.

OT: One of mine died a couple of weeks ago, so if anyone knows about
fixing these I'd be very happy to hear. The light doesnt come on and theres
no thump noise when you switch them on. I checked the fuse, but thats about
the limit of my electrical knowledge :)

FWIW, for me they were good enough that I think the acoustics of the room
would have been a better thing to improve than the monitors.

At work we use various Genelecs (wouldn't bother - they sound pretty
uneaven to me) and some small Yamahas (ok, for thier size). Sorry, I dont
know model numbers.

Some people I know swear by the big PMC monitors, but thier a bit out of
my price range, and way to big for a home studio.

- Steve