[linux-audio-user] Re: Mandrake Packages

anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 04:04:32 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 02:25:51PM -0900, ejbjr wrote:
> After installing packages I
> don't really want on my internet machine, I click on the download link
> and it *INSTALLS* the package I want to put on my audio machine at home
> on my internet machine.  YUCK.

Debian's apt-get has a switch for the install command that tells it to
download the .deb package but not to install it. Surely Mandrake's GUI
installer is only a front end for a similar command line program that
might have a similar switch?

> My audio machine at home is not on the internet, and never will be due
> to the presence of unreleased audio tracks - no network connection is
> the most reliable firewall ever created.

A separate firewall machine that you only connect when you want to
download and install new software packages is comes a pretty close second
:-)

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk