AW: [linux-audio-user] command-line recording software

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi
Mon Jul 26 09:57:23 EDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Michael Kamleitner wrote:

> thx Jan & R, ecasound & arecord both do satisfy my needs (going to give
> arecord a try, looks much simpler than ecasound ;)!

For simple use-cases, ecasound is just as simple:

ecasound -i alsa -o foo.wav

... i.e. record from default ALSA soundcard and write to 'foo.wav'.

And you might want to use Ecasound even for "simple" recording.
Not to sound like a broken record repeating the same thing over
and over again, here're some links to old messages&articles to
explain my point :) ...:

http://www.music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2004-June/013182.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00087.html
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2000/11/17/low_latency.html?page=last