[linux-audio-user] Replacing Alsa driver in 2.6.8 kernel

Cal cal at hihone.net
Thu Jul 29 21:14:20 EDT 2004

>replacing the driver in the kernel with the driver from CVS. I don't
>know how to do this.
----------
Here's how I do it when the occasional driver drama demands.
Follow the instructions to pull alsa-kernel from cvs,
like this (I think) .

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/alsa login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/alsa \
    co -P alsa-kernel

When you succeed with that, you'll have a tree under a directory
called alsa-kernel.  From directly above alsa-kernel, I then run
the following, which does some basic filtering of what
(and what not) to transfer to the kernel source tree.  After all that,
I build the kernel as usual.

cheers ... Cal
-------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
	echo "Need the linux kernel directory, eg, /usr/src/linux-2.6.2-rc3"
	exit 1
fi
kernel_src_dir=$1
[ -d $kernel_src_dir ] || {
	echo "Can't see the kernel dir!"
	exit 2
}
cd  alsa-kernel  || {
	echo "Can't get to the alsa-kernel directory from here!"
	exit 3
}
# kernel files -
find . -print | grep -v ^.\/oss | grep -v ^.\/include | grep -v CVS |
cpio -pmudv ${kernel_src_dir}/sound/

# include files
cd include || {
	echo "Can't see the include directory inside alsa-kerne!"
	exit 4
}
find . -print | grep -v CVS | cpio -pmudv
${kernel_src_dir}/include/sound/