[linux-audio-user] Assemblies/Versioning and Specimen (was: Re: Your synth wishlist?)

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat Jul 31 04:26:14 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 05:08:31PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:

> > > Versioning as in CVS for patch files?  Well.. yeah, that is a bit much
> > > to ask for. :)
> >
> > No wouldn't cut it. Say I would include put an assembly that is already
> > in use by multiple assemblies inside yet another one. Now I want to
> > slightly adapt it, without breaking all the other assemblies ...
> > That's exactly the problem I have with Solidworks :)
>
> As long as the assemblies are kept in seperate files and assemblies that
> contain others only reference the file (and not actually include it), I
> don't see why it wouldn't work.. (unless of course you change the
> inputs/outputs of your sub-assembly, which no versioning system is going
> to resolve!)

Idealy one could modify a sub-assembly right in place, thereby creating
a new version. Other assemblies referencing the same assembly would
use the old version, until explicitly set to the new one.

> Hmm.. new GUI looks interesting.  I just want the ability to EASILY
> assign a sample to a certain key (ie midi note) and have it play without
> pitch scaling.  A mixer like hydrogen is crucial too, so you can adjust
> the relative volumes and pan and whatnot.
>
> I realise specimen is targeted toward pitched-instrument sampling, but
> there's no reason it can't be suitable for percussion sampling with a
> little UI consideration.

Actualy Specimen's first target are drumkits, with pitched instruments
coming right on second place.
There will be a sample browser in a separate window, but a file manager
(at least Nautilus) will also work. It will be possible to drag samples
to the Keys area to create new patches.

Mixing can happen on Channels and Patches level. A Channel in Specimen
is tied to a MIDI channel and provides one full keyboard range for
assigning Patches.

We pretty much know where we want to go, but input is for sure welcome.

---
Thorsten Wilms