[linux-audio-user] Encrypted remote X11 app (Was Unencrypted remote X11 app, Was: headless audio apps)

robin fell robin.fell at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 31 06:59:16 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 23:30, Benno Senoner wrote:
> It's probably because you use X11 over ssh.

You would think so, wouldn't you? (well I certainly did before I started
measuring things).

Setup: fvwm and all apps remotely over ssh with blowfish encryption.
Remote machine is 1.3GHz Duron c/w 512Mb RAM.  Terminal is PII 300(ish)
MHz c/w 256Mb RAM.

Running apps: Qjackctl, Alsaplayer, Ardour (not recording - just showing
a meter), and Meterbridge.

With Alsaplayer eye-candy turned on, it's bar graphs move
_significantly_ faster than Meterbridge's.  Ardour's meter looks
'normal' (i.e. adequately damped), but Meterbridge looks very poor by
comparison.

Comparatively, Meterbridge is responsible for blowing _loads_ of CPU
cycles (as reported by Qjackctl) - Alsaplayer/Ardour graphics aren't

I'll try to make some comparative CPU measurements whilst recording and
report back, but it looks to me as though Meterbridge (probably via a
library) isn't making as efficient use of X as it might.

cheers
Rob