[linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels + XRuns with the Audiophile 24/96 M-Audio

Malcolm Baldridge linux-audio at paypc.com
Wed Jun 2 01:39:10 EDT 2004

> Ok, I busted up my RAID and with high hopes fired up jack and ardour on
> a new ext3 filesystem running on a single partition.  Ardour ran for
> about 7 sec and stopped with a 300+ms xrun.

That's about the amount of time before bdflush would start to dump all of
the dirty disk buffers to disk.  Up to this point, all of the writes were
going to RAM.

> Just to be sure, I mounted the old Connor IDE and let thing ardour run.
>
> Got bored by about 3 min and shut it off.  Buying a new drive is looking
> attractive again...

Geez.  This is a bad day.  I can't believe the SCSI controller is that
bad...  this is a day which live in infamy.

> Thanks for the suggestions.  I may still look into reiserfs and the LCK1
> patch set, but I don't have high hopes (a 300+ms xrun?).  I'm thinking
> the aforementioned problems with the Adaptec 2940 is the likely root of
> my troubles.

I'm sure you're right.  The causes are sensible, and Jan's pointed to some
documentation about the problem.

It's a very black day in Rivendell when a lowly Conner IDE drive outperforms
a SCSI drive,

=MB=
--
A focus on Quality.