[linux-audio-user] Ardour and some other test results running jack

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Fri Jun 11 05:13:31 EDT 2004

Got that working. However, most of the user interface in unreadable, i.e.
blue-white text on white background. I tried editing the default options bg
colours in the ardour_ui.rc file but this did not work. Maybe I do not
understand the RGB factors that appear to be there or whether these are RGB
factors. Some sort of visual shell for doing this is definitely in order.
Also, I found one can add all kinds of connections but once they are added,
one cannot get rid of them.

Rosegarden has a strange setup (studio) interface and muse does not know what
XG is and Ardour does not do MIDI at all.

Using muse to play an existing, very dense MIDI file. NO problems except that
the file is 120/q and this is not an option in the program. Cannot hear any
difference. MIDI must out to a real MIDI port, not to qjackctl MIDI port. I
tried some of the soft-synths and they worked fine. First time out, they had
skips but later on, no problem at all and seeing I am running on a stock
kernel on a 575mhz system and setiathome was running in the background, I
think this is OK!

I was able to play XMMS wave file and listen to an internet "radio" broadcast
simultaneously (fun!) without a skip or xrun. Not at all bad. The little
qjackctl utility could use a mixer for all those "connections" :-), (

Tthis UI is better than the windoze virtual audio cable interface and. Works
like MIDI thruway for MIDI. Just add the virtual channels.