[linux-audio-user] producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 17:55:53 EDT 2004

Hi Florian,

--- Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
> R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [many good points snipped]
>

> The interplay between the different drums: Each drum
> you hit, makes sound. This sound reonates in the
> other parts of the drumset. If you hit the bass
> drum, the snare drum will produce sound, too..

No doubt. Earlier today I sat down and hit the kick
drum and thought what on earth has happened to that. I
immediately realized the snares were turned off. :)
Bill and I will discuss these issues before we start
printing.

An interesting challange with controlling bleed is the
requirements of different genres of music. With Pop,
it's common for me to get most of the bleed, ambiance
and room from the overheads and seriously limit bleed
in the other instruments. However, with Jazz that
aproach is simply wrong.

This definitely requires consideration. I've thought
about direct micing one instrument at a time while
leaving the kit and a room mic at the other end of the
room. That mic would pick up the room and subsequent
sounds from the kit and be a seperate track that could
be used at the discretion of the end user. This
probably wouldn't work for everything but it's one
thought.

Good stuff Florian.

ron