[linux-audio-user] Setup tweaks

Jos Laake jos at radiks.net
Sun Jun 13 17:52:00 EDT 2004

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>>[..] It seems like 'qjackctl' studiously ignores the
>>-geomtry switch. [...]
>>
>>Is there any way to work around this stuff?  Are the window coordinates
>>hardcoded in 'qjackctl'?
>>
> No and no. Qjackctl just overrides any X hints that maybe given from the
> command line. Qjackctl remembers and restores it's last visible screen
> position and extents.

Thanks for letting me know what behaviour to expect!  so, Hmmmm...
If this is what Qjackctl is *s'posed* to do, then I'm pretty sure
I've found a bug.

After some testing to check it out...

It seems like a bit of a special case specific bug.  If I position the
main 'qjackctl' window with *either* the 'X' *or* the 'Y' coordinate
in the '0' position and then quit, then the next time I start 'Qjackctl'
*both* 'X' *and* 'Y' are in the '0' position.

I like my 'Qjackctl' in the upper right hand corner.  This bug causes
it to appear on the next startup in the 0:0 position in the upper left
hand corner.  Any other position on the screen seems to work according
to the expected behaviour you've outlined above.

I pulled down the source and rummaged around, but I don't know UI
coding well enough to know really what to look for.

Still, I hope this information gives you an idea where to look for the
buug. :-)

I have a workaround for now.  I just position the main 'Qjackctl'
window in the upper right hand corner, but just a pixel or two short
of the top.  That seems to do it for me.

 > This feature only applies to qjackctl main and child windows.
 > It does not apply to any application it launches from the startup
> scripts.

Right.  'QAMix' comes in where I want it.  'Timemachine' seems to have
its own rules.  I haven't tried modifying my other app commands yet.

Peace,
~Jos~