[linux-audio-user] Re: [Consortium] Re: [a-users] New Linux forum on Sound on Sound site

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jun 14 12:58:10 EDT 2004

Hallo,
Pete Bessman hat gesagt: // Pete Bessman wrote:

> Maybe it's because mailing lists are anachronistic, relatively
> high-commitment, and generally sucky?
>
> Yeah, I don't like 'em, and I'm signed up for 4.  The forum is much
> nicer IMHO because you can just pop in, see whats up, possibly say
> something, and leave without any hassle.

Thanks for your comments, Pete. As I'm on the other side, like Andrea
being a fan of mailing lists, I always wondered, why people can even
endure web forums. You gave some good points and enlightend me a bit.

Though I'm not conviced at all ;) Editing textarea-fields simply
sucks.  And I'm also saying this as a web developer.  Generally
useability of web forums is really bad, that's my main gripe against
them.  Also I like having the mailing list archives (and my own sent
mail) on my own hard disk instead of someone else's.  grepmail is a
cool tool and much quicker than most web searches. Also searching
stuff and participating on lists won't be slowed down when I
bitttorrent the newest Dynebolic or do similar things.

You're right that mailing lists require more commitment from
participants, but that also is their strong points: the signal to
noise ratio generally is quite high on lists.

Ciao