[linux-audio-user] Re: [Consortium] Re: [a-users] New Linux forum on Sound on Sound site

RTaylor RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net
Mon Jun 14 16:55:42 EDT 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 11:14, Pete Bessman wrote:

} Maybe it's because mailing lists are anachronistic, relatively
} high-commitment, and generally sucky?
} Yeah, I don't like 'em, and I'm signed up for 4.  The forum is much

 Personally I prefer them... I'm signed up for well over 4o... With a decent
mail client {I just discovered this... I've not set it up yet:
http://columba.sourceforge.net/ } You can filter out the crap and filter the
information into nice little hierarchical listings that are actually pleasant
to simply peruse at your own leisure. You don't have to bother with stuff you
don't want to and you don't get a little 24k animation in the margin...

} nicer IMHO because you can just pop in, see whats up, possibly say
} something, and leave without any hassle.  Mailing lists require that
} you fill out a form, then setup folders and filters, and upgrade your
} account to compensate for all the bandwidth your using.  Lists are
} also inferior for searching and categorizing since the integrity of a
} thread can be comprimised by one response from a maladjusted client.

 You can database mail... you can search online archives.

} Another nice thing about forums is that you can sub-categorize them.
} If the linux-audio scene were forumized, there would be one message
} board with a sub-forum for developers and a sub-forum for users.  This
} way you could interact in both communities without having to sign-up
} for two mailing lists.
}
} But the biggest thing, in my opinion, is the level of commitment.
} Mailing-list archives flat out suck, so the only real way to see
} what's up is to join.  It's an "are you in or out?" sorta proposition,
} and it makes you feel like you gotta totally immerse yourself before
} you're even allowed to see wtf is going on.

 Text is much easier to deal with... Perhaps you need to set up gnus or mutt
or xfmail? ...Maybe Mulberry? {gnus sounds like it would suit you better.
Grouplens might help you get over the "commitment" thing... tho', generally I
see that as good.}
--
If I had saxophones / Big baritone, cleanin' up the muddy breaks
If I had Saxophones / I could get some recognition from