[linux-audio-user] jack and ppc prelim...

Jonathan Segel jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com
Tue Jun 15 15:45:13 EDT 2004

sorry, the powerbook in question is a new aluminum 1.5ghz, decked out
with 2gb ram and 128mb vram. nice! however cpuinfo reports a full 747
bogomips, i've heard there are some patches for undoing the half
speed on the G4 ibooks, but not powerbooks yet (i think? i'm on the
road with not very good interweb access but i may try upgrading to a
newer dev kernel as well if i can)

so you're getting sound out, though? i had briefly tried using the
rme multiface with notorious cardbus before i left, but no luck there
either.
this experiment may be delayed another week at this point.

thanks!

>>jack 0.98 and alsa 1.0.5 installed, kernel is 2.6.4
>>even qjackctl installed! yay. but jack can't connect to the client,
>>or even if i manage to get settings that will connect and alsa pcm
>>of hw:0 shows up in the connections, no sound comes out.
>
>At your inspiration, I upgraded my Powerbook Pismo to
>2.6.5-gentoo-r1 and Alsa 1.0.5 to see if it worked for me. It did,
>*but* I had to downgrade jack to 0.94 to get it working! NO
>settings, manual or in Qjackctl, would get anything but a segfault
>with jack 0.98. So you might try that...
>
>My jack incantation this time was:
>
>jackd -d alsa -d hw -S -r 44100 -p 4096
>
>Still no sound in however, just noise, and the only control worth
>messing with in alsamixer is the one for "PC Speaker".
>
>You never did mention what Mac you are trying this on. You might get
>better help with a bit more info on your setup ;-) Also, you might
>consider trying an external soundcard, even if it's only one of
>those silly little USB IMics.

Jonathan Segel  <--                                    --> MAGNETIC
    jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite at yahoo.com
                 http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com