[linux-audio-user] NoteEdit 2.6.0: MIDI-->multiple voices per staff

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Jun 17 05:08:49 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 16 Jun 2004 8:58 pm, Joerg Anders wrote:
> The formula shall ensure the voice with the higest pitches is
> the first voice [...]

A nice algorithm.  Presumably this is intended for uses like choral
music where there is a clear division into parts and each part is
essentially monophonic -- I can imagine it might not work so well
with something like a piano played in a single MIDI track, where the
parts can have quite different "shapes" (e.g. widely separated chord
clusters in the left hand, running scales in the right).

How do you decide whether to run this algorithm at all?  I mean, how
can you know at the outset whether a track is expected to contain
one, two, or several voices?  I imagine you could find a division
into "voices" of pretty much any MIDI track with chords in it.

(pause while I try out the feature)

Yes, it looks like it runs on every MIDI file -- so if I import piano
music, I might get two staffs with eight or nine voices on each.  Not
ideal for piano music, then.  That's not too problematic because the
default mode in NoteEdit appears to be to edit all voices at once,
right?  Can I merge selected voices as well?

I have several MIDI files that cause a crash on import, with an error
saying '"NMidiTimeScale::findPathsInChunk" Error Code is: 1' -- do
you want any examples?  It'd be nice if it abandoned the voice
algorithm but continued to import the file.

btw, how does NoteEdit quantize on MIDI import?  Is it simply to a
grid, and if so, is the grid configurable?

Chris