[linux-audio-user] perfect pitch application

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Fri Jun 18 10:19:49 EDT 2004

On Friday 18 June 2004 02:38, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Anyone knows an application (for Linux) that can take the sound of a
> single instrument (or voice, or anything that's simple - not complex
> sounds) as an input, and transform it into notes (or a MIDI file)?

Not an answer (sorry), but I think that you're referring to "relative" pitch -
the ablitiy to identify intervals.  Well, at least that's what most musicians
use to transcribe music. If someone knows the instrument well, they can also
fix the key based on the timbre of the different notes. It is true that some
musicians and non-musicians have "perfect" pitch, the ability to identify an
absolute pitch without any context, but this isn't the ordinary way people do
it, and in fact I had a composition teacher once with perfect pitch who said
it was a curse.

Larry