[linux-audio-user] Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 06:28:38 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 02:12:59AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> Well, 48khz has been the standard in professional digital audio since
> day one, for a reason I would think.  44.1 is an oddball, a quirk of the
> CD format.

The 44.1kHz standard is linked to TV video scan frequencies, which I
think may be a legacy from Sony's early digital audio using based on
video cassettes.

I can understand the sonic difference between 44.1 and 48kHz; if you
accept an upper limit of 20kHz on your audio band the filters for 44.1k
have a gap of only 4 kHz between passband and stopband; at 48kHz that
gap is 8kHz which means much cleaner filter response for the same level
of alias rejection.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk