[linux-audio-user] Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Sat Jun 19 07:22:24 EDT 2004

>From: R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com>
>
>> Tip 3: Group the samples so that all samples from
>> one drum kit
>> are together.
>
>Organization is mandatory. Nothing worse than trying
>to find what you want:

I did mean that I don't accidentally take snare from another
set and tom from another set, different sets being recorded
and mastered differently.

>Right, with an expception being the stereo snare drums
>where the whole point is to design sounds.

But provide the raw snare sounds as well. Prereverberated
snares sounds great at first but then they are unusable in
general. It depends on what type of music one does. Not
everyone makes disco.

>If you can't hear anything then all useful audio is
>gone. I've been allowing the tail to fade completely

Or computer fans are too noisy. Or zooming vertically to waveform
display is annoying.

>In my tests, I trimmed heads to be tight. I can't
>think of any situation where there's a benefit to
>leaving space in front of the sample.

There is no much space in the front of hit, but I have seen
samples where the cut is too much. An extra fast artificial
slope makes the sound kick, but it is unnatural.

Extra space at the start does not make harm. Software can set
the zero position deep in to the audiofile if one wishes.

>A second version of the library could be for surround
>where anything is open for debate. Incidentally, I

The major motto in my sound library project is that
the raw samples are most important because everything else
can be done later -- better than you and me can do.

(So, I'm happy as long as I get the raw unprocessed recordings.)

Making this a lot of pre-effected samples is an old-fashioned
way. Now one should provide only raw samples and a software
for making effected and spatialized sounds. Say, I could have
a footstep sound and use software to make a person to walk
in the room. Current sound libraries have sound such as
"walking from left to right" --- quite boring actually.

>What reverb instruments do you have?
>I've got Lexicon LXP-15, TC Works and Waves.

I have written my own. I thought to try something which those
reverbs don't provide.

Juhana