[linux-audio-user] Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Jun 20 00:06:22 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 22:55, RickTaylor at speakeasy.net wrote:
> On 19-Jun-2004 Vescovi Christophe wrote:
> }  RickTaylor at speakeasy.net a crit :
>
> } > :} I *need* those sounds.
>
> }  Sorry but this is a bad example .....
> }  This example has nothing to do with the sample rate of the sample
> }  (sound) but with the method used to implement a digital delay effect.
> }  In the case you are exposing you will certainly have the same effect
> }  with a initial 24/48 sample rate up-sampled to 96 just to process the
> }  effect. This method was used by Steinberg in one of their VST EQ plugin
> }  in order to improved the response of the EQ in high frequency.
> }  You don't need 24/96 to have those sound, you need better digital effect
> }  processors !!!
>
>  It's a perfectly good example... It's indicative of the results that I get
> overall. With 24/96 I get what I want... regardless of the reasons behind
> it. Why would I use anything else? Because someone else tells me I should?

I never meant to say anyone should use anything other than what gives
them the best sound.  I should have been more specific, my point was
that I think 96khz is overkill for recording sounds from outside the
computer.  Of course you should upsample and process at a higher
resolution if possible, no matter what format your input is, just
because it gives you more room for error.

Lee