[linux-audio-user] Newbie question-- what can I do with just a PC keyboard, my Linux box, and a SB 16 PCI card?

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Mon Jun 21 04:10:24 EDT 2004

On Saturday 19 Jun 2004 6:28 pm, Mark Wilson wrote:
> [...]
> /dev file to specify in Rosegarden's sequencer
> configuration. When I try to put in /dev/midi, *midi0,
> *sequencer, *audio, *dsp, *whatever, it tells me "no
> such device" or unable to access or something.

There may be some confusion here, because your description above
sounds like Rosegarden-2.1 (the very old, but much more lightweight
application -- OK for notation, but not a good sequencer) whereas
most of the replies refer to Rosegarden-4, which is newer and
generally better but might be rather heavy for your hardware.

Rosegarden-2.1 used the OSS sound drivers, Rosegarden-4 (like most of
the other apps discussed here these days) uses the ALSA sound
drivers.  It's not clear from your mail which (if either!) you're
using -- a quick test for ALSA is to run /sbin/lsmod and see if any
of the modules listed have "snd" in their names.

Chris