[linux-audio-user] A nice PCI audio card for the PC?

Malcolm Baldridge linux-audio at paypc.com
Mon Jun 21 04:37:12 EDT 2004

> No need to scurry actually.
> There seems to be a steady stream of Audiophile 2496's, Delta 44's
> 66's, 1010LT's and 1010's flowing through the system.

Awesome.

> <FYI>
> There are a few Audiophile 2496's selling for as low as $129.00 on
> the "Buy It Now" button.  I haven't followed anything to completion
> but the 2496 that ends auction in 13 hours is currently at about
> $100.00.
[...]
> </FYI>

Excellent, thanks Jos.

> I'd like to save some $$ and het the 1010LT, but I am  curious,
> has anybody had trouble with having that rats nest of cables behind
> the computer?  Seems like that would be noisy.

Well, if everything's digital (MIDI + S/PDIF), I guess it doesn't matter
much, but if you're running analogue stuff back there it might start to get
a bit furry.

> Also, how many inputs can you *really* record at once without xruns?
> I'm running a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 in an Ice Cube small footprint system.

I would suspect it's more dependent upon the audio card (and your
destination hard disks) than CPU these days.  Audio's only about
90KB/channel per second @ 44K/16-bits.  Even 32 channels of this is trivial
for modern RAM/HDD speeds.

I would be really shocked if a modern P4/DDR/ATA-100 based system can't
record 32 channels without incident, assuming the audio interface is high
quality with sensible bus-mastering DMA driven I/O.

Peace Jos!

=MB=

--
A focus on Quality.