[linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates/Sample Sizes

Greg Murphy public_gmm at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 07:13:46 EDT 2004

> Anahata wrote:
> But what about effects such as stochastic resonance?
> Add  a (miniscule) amount of distortion and we hear
> more of the music.

> This seems to suggest the possibility of the
recording of
> an acoustic
> performance of music sounding "better" than being
present at the performance itself.

> I see thin ice here!

Not what I'm saying really. "Better" would imply a
euphonic aspect and I'm just talking about the
information content. There's also no reason why the
low-level noise could not be added to a performance
e.g. by the rustling of clothing ;-)

I'm not an expert on this stuff but it's been proven
that stochastic resonance does increase the
information  content of non-linear systems (Google for
it, there's lots of material). One question that does
arise, however, is if this added information falls
below the noise floor of the reproduction system in
use.

Greg