[linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates / Sample Sizes

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Wed Jun 23 12:40:22 EDT 2004

>From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net>
>
>I also hear a difference though when I record 24/44.1 and 24/96.

How about 24/48 vs. 24/96? Some cards are optimized to 48 kHz and
if one goes to use 44.1 kHz the performance may not be optimal.
It even could be that in some cards the performance is optimized
for 96 kHz instead of 48 kHz.

One could start the tests by comparing if an audio bandlimited to
15 kHz comes through the system the same way independent of
what sampling rate was used. What would be the limit frequency
where differences starts? Is that frequency hearable? A/B tests
on the listener. If yes, it would naturally explane why one
hears the difference.

If all these aspects are already tested, I would like to
hear where. Perhaps www.aes.org would be a good place to start
searching.

Juhana