[linux-audio-user] Reading/playing a "copy protected" CD : cdparanoia seems not to help

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sun Jun 27 19:15:21 EDT 2004

Hello,

Sampo Savolainen wrote:

> Do the clicks appear random or do they come at a set interval (i.e. 30
> seconds apart) or are they connected to the music (i.e. a crash cymbal)?

They seem always there. They're not *loud* clicks, rather a quiet but
very-often repeated sound.

This, in fact, may be simple clipping. Except that I'm not ready at this
point to think that the Chandos company would simply release a crappy
recording; copy protection seems more likely.

> Just to be sure, have you tried the CD on a normal CD player? Do you
> hear the clicks then?

I have not yet tried. This is probably what I need to do next, as this
seems to be the only way to find out if this is actually copy protection
- or mere clipping. (Or perhaps I can somehow check for clipping by
looking at the waveform in something like Audacity?)

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik