[linux-audio-user] Reading/playing a "copy protected" CD : Reed-Solomon correction?

Dylan audio at dylan.me.uk
Sun Jun 27 20:45:20 EDT 2004

On Sunday 27 Jun 2004 23:13 pm, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Mikhail Ramendik hat gesagt: // Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> > cdparanoia did not help :(
>
> Not all is lost: Try to find another computer with another CD drive.
> Various drives handle these kinds of broken CDs differently.

Some people report that old drives cope better with these discs, whether
that's because the optics are more tollerant or because they run at
lower speeds I don't know, but it may be worth a try.

> You
> could also do an analogue copy, which can be of almost the same
> quality as a digital rip.

I take this approach for encoding oggs - in your case, since the copy is
for car use the ambient sound will outweigh any quality loss.

If you really want a digital copy then you could use a digital audio
link, but it's probably not worth it.

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"