[linux-audio-user] Reading/playing a "copy protected" CD : cdparanoia seems not to help

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Jun 28 08:01:47 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 02:46, Anahata wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:35:03AM +0300, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > you could try to find a CD player
> > with spdif output and, presuming you have spdif input on your computer,
> > record the data digitally from a normal player.
>
> The possibility of doing this (I assume copy protected CDs can't prevent
> it, if they can be played at all) is one more thing that makes a
> mockery of the whole business of copy protection.

	What really makes a mockery of the copy protection racket is what the
RIAA calls the "analog hole".  If I can hear it, I can copy it.  Find a
CD player that can handle the chewed up CD, run the analog outs to your
computer, record it.  I seriously doubt that there is anyone around who
can tell the difference between a digitally ripped copy and a digitally
encoded analog copy.  A digitally encoded analog copy is way better than
any mp3/ogg file you're going to find anyway.  As far as digital output
from CD players is concerned, the RIAA wants to either make them illegal
or cripple the CD in such a way that they don't work.  The only
effective way to prevent music copying is to prevent music listening.
Don't put it past the RIAA to go that route, they're just stupid enough
to try it ;-)

Jan