[linux-audio-user] Re: Tracker Repository Copyright?

jmstone at dsl.pipex.com jmstone at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jun 28 09:31:00 EDT 2004

Dario Sanfilippo <tirriddiliu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:55:36 +0100, James Stone <jmstone at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have found an amazing archive of tracker XI instruments at
>>
>> http://www.kiarchive.ru/pub/misc/sounds/samples/ft2/
>>
>> I was wondering if others were aware of this resource, and also if anyone
>> knows who made the samples in the first place and what their copyright
>> status is? I have emailed the maintainer of the archive but he is yet to
>> reply.
>
> In many countries, 'creative' works are automatically
> fully-copyrighted (All Rights Reserved) as soon as they are fixed in a
> tangible medium of expression.
> Even if there's no particular notice.
>
> Dario.

The problem is knowing who the samples/instruments belong to as there
is no notice. Since they seem to have been made freely available on the
internet, one would assume that the author(s) wanted them to be used by
other people... (!) But the question of using them in published works,
or commercial pieces is obviously slightly more unclear. Anyone have
any thoughts on this?

James