[linux-audio-user] [OT - Apostrophe]

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Tue Jun 29 10:47:22 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 09:43:17AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> >Not that the OT needs to go on any longer, but monk is one of my all
> >time favorite composers and performers. :-D If I were to start studying
> >music again I think I would start with monk.
> To push this thread a little towards on-topic: In the late 1980s I
> transcribed hundreds of compositions by various composers to MIDI
> sequences. It was great training for me, I worked from the written
> music, so the work improved my reading skills tremendously, and it also
> gave me much more intimate knowledge of what was going on inside the
> music's composition. I urge all students to follow this way, it's quite
> similar to Bach's practice of transcribing works by previous composers
> in order to learn how it's done. Linux audio software such as MusE and
> Rosegarden offer all the capability needed to carry out such a task,
> anyone can do it.

That's an excellent recommendation. I'll remember to do that if I start
studying music again.

> And yes, I transcribed some pieces by Monk. IMO he was one of the
> titans. Favorite Monk piece of the moment: Ruby My Dear. Favorite Monk
> experience: Watching Buell Neidlinger's "buellgrass" group play an
> evening of nothing but lesser-known Monk titles at McCabe's in LA, all
> tunes played by a quartet that included fiddle, mandolin, guitar, and
> string bass. And who can forget the Kronos Quartet's rendition of Round
> Midnight ?

Speaking of Kronos ... I had the incredible privledge of hearing them
perform Steve Reich's Triple quartet live. It was the single most
amazing musical experience I've ever had.

> But the best is still Monk with Rollins, or with Coltrane, or just Monk
> by himself...

by himself is my favorite way, but you can't leave out Charlie Rouse.

> Off-topically,
>
> dp

returning to lurk mode,

Eric Rz.