_[linux-audio-user]_Creating_live_CDs

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 19:17:00 EDT 2004

--- lau at hippie-online.de wrote:

> R Parker wrote:
> > --- lau at hippie-online.de wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I'd like to know if there is a tool to create live
> >>CDs under Linux.
>
> > If you're running JACK, then master with JAMin. I
> > recently built a mastering demo session that
> perfectly
> > demonstrates what I consider the best way to
> aproach
> > the audio mastering part of your task.
> Unfortunately,
> > there were issues within Ardour so the demo needs
> > be replaced.
>
> I took a look at the JAMin homepage and - wow! -
> this looks really
> promising, but also quite complicated. Up till now I
> did not run JACK -
> in fact I do not understand what it really does
> (besides lowering
> latency which should not help in offline CD
> mastering?).

>From a user perspective it's primary functions are
connecting user defined routes and hardware ports. Any
combination is doable. Ardour outputs to JAMin inputs
and other application inputs and outputs, etc. It also
provides transport functionality where applications
with compliant transports are detected upon startup.
Upon detection, the relative transport is can issue or
respond to transport instructions from other jack
clients.

> > I think Jeremy Hall fixed the automation path and
> > names stuff so Ardour should be usable for
> building a
> > new session. I'll try to create a new Demo
> tomorrow.
> > If that demo can be opened on any computer without
> > manually editing the session file, then a link for
> > download can be made available from
> > jamin.sourceforge.net.
> >
> > If you're interested in Ardour (source) -> JAMin
> ->
> > Ardour (return bus) then I'll try to keep you up
> > date on my progress with a demo session.
>
> Return bus?! I am going to take a look at the
> documentation on the JAMin
> homepage. I hope then I will understand what you are
> talking about...

The existing documents are a great starter. Definitely
go through them. Mastering with JAMin is probably
simpler than it may appear. Jan's docs explain
everything you need to begin mastering.

The demo I'm working on isn't documented but the bugs
that prevented it from being usable are mostly fixed.
The signal chain and reasons for doing what I do
aren't entirely intuitive and there is no
documentation that will lead you to building a session
that I think is the best thing going.

> My distro (SuSE 9.1) comes with JAMin 0.8.0, Ardour
> 0.453.1 and jackd
> 0.94.0. Is this combination okay for mastering live
> CDs?

Ah, no. You'll need JACK 0.98.? and a recent Ardour. I
have no experience with Suse but often notice people
on this list discussing it. I'm sure someone could
help you upgrade if there are any issues.

ron