[linux-audio-user] Re: giga files and large soundfonts

James Stone jmstone at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jun 30 10:32:27 EDT 2004

> There are many, many good, and completely free gig files. Look at
> Worra's Place for the best overall set I know of:
>
> http://www.worrasplace.com
>
> Note the links to subsections are just below the ad at the top. (Not
> everyone finds them)
>
> Take care,
> Mark

Thanks.. yes I had seen that page before and there _do_ seem to be a few
more files now. It worries me that they are generally all so small in
size though: smaller than soundfonts some of them. Also there does not
seem to be much in the way of proper orchestral sounds.. the woodwind
section is not up to much and there is no strings section.

The sound files at the University of Iowa are massive: 40-60MB per
instrument. Could build up some really nice files from them! I think
perhaps the easiest way would be to write them as soundfonts and then get
some program to convert them..

James