[linux-audio-user] [OT - Apostrophe]

RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net
Wed Jun 30 20:14:33 EDT 2004

On 30-Jun-2004 RickTaylor at speakeasy.net wrote:
}  On 29-Jun-2004 luis jure wrote:
}  }  Jos Laake <jos at radiks.net> escribió:
}
}  } > I believe it's a reference from the Frank Zappa song "Apostrophe", no?
}  } >  From the album of the same name.
}  } >
}  } > I belive the line goes:
}  } > "The crux of the biscuit is the Apostrophe." - FZ
}  }
}  }  right. "it should be easy to see..."
}
}  } > What it means?  I have no idea.  Random silliness from the Master
}  } > is my guess. ;-)
}  }
}  }  i don't see it as random. i'm not a native speaker of english, but i
}  think i
}  }  can follow how zappa developed a funny variant of the idioms that use the
}  }  word"crux" (meaning of course "decisive point", and not "cross"), mainly
}  }  "the crux of the matter", but also "the crux of the problem/conflict",
}  "the
}  }  crux of the discussion/debate", etc.
}  }
}  }  it's very probable that zappa himself invented the expression (can anyone
}  }  trace it to a predating source?), perhaps melding "crux of the matter"
}  and
}  }  "crust of the biscuit".
}  }
}  }  it appeared first in the song "stink foot", which was included in the
}  album
}  }  "apostrophe" from 1974. zappa also used the expression in conversation, i
}  }  remember reading interviews where he used this peculiar idiom.
}
}   I think you've got to look at that one in context... It is the dog
}  explaining
}   "conceptual continuity" after all. Maybe it means that the "important bits"
}  of
}   his biscuit are missing and therefore must be filled in by the imagination
}  or
}   out of habit like we use an apostrophe to fill in the missing bits of words
}  or
}   contractions. Whether the actual important bits of the biscuit are the ends
}  or
}   perhaps the dog has begun his biscuit fest by biting the biscuit middle is
}   something, I think, that Frank has left up to the listener to determine...
}  the
}   actual import of the statement being that the bits are missing thus
}  breaking
}   the biscuit continuity and that we've filled things in with one of the
}  above
}   mentioned devices. ...Like the apostrophe.
}
}   I'm thinking this represents Franks tribute to mans imagination. ...The
}  idea
}   that we, as humans, are capable of imagining things like talking dogs
}  ...maybe
}   it's a contrast with the stark reality of stinky feet... which Frank may
}  use
}   to illustrate the "street" or the baser human elements.
}
}   So... Frank basically is contrasting the sublime with the human here...
}   telling us that what's important lies in the mind and not in the physical.
}
}   It's just so typically Frank.
}
}  }  excuse the OT, but the artists and groups usually mentioned on this list
}  are
}  }  completely unknown to me, for once i wanted to talk a musician i _do_
}  know.
}  }  er... not very probable an OT about duke ellington or thelonious monk, is
}
}   You've heard the Yellow Orchestra stuff?
}
}  ----------------------------------
}  E-Mail: RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net
}  Date: 30-Jun-2004
[...]