[linux-audio-user] drum loops, samples,

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Mar 2 19:16:03 EST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 06:51:22 -0800 (PST)
R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What I'd suggest to Joe and all of us when we
> experience "sounds like garbage on other systems" is
> to move from mixing to mastering. Send these mixes
> through JAMin and even if you only have one room to
> work with you should expect very significant
> improvements in how the audio sounds on many systems
> and in many environments. But do not master until the
> mix sounds great. Always master control room mixes
> because compression and limiting ontop of compression
> and limiting will fail.

By the way, it's only been in the past month or so that I've really
started to dig into JAMin and realize what an astounding effect it
has on the music.  Heck, even when I just put it through and used
the default compressor settings and a bit of EQ, the difference was
big, but now that I'm getting a bit more proficient with it, I realize
now that the mastering phase is what makes the difference between
demos and something worth releasing.

I recently had a friend ask for a CD of some of my playing, and I
went back and took some of my older pieces that I'd felt were finished
and ran them through JAMin...  maybe the difference isn't night and
day, but it's at least twilight and day!!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com