[linux-audio-user] No Sound from Laptop Speakers

Gary gmoe4alsa at neonova.net
Fri Mar 5 12:39:40 EST 2004

Hello,

Just got a new company laptop (Gateway M675) and decided to install Linux
to it. I got just about of the built in hardware working under linux
(wifi, network, flash reader, etc) but can't get the sound to work just
right yet. I'm running Fedora Core 2 test 1 with a custom 2.6.3 kernel
(non Fedora Core). The laptop has an Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02) sound card and I am using the Alsa
intel8x0 driver which loads correctly.

Now before some says to check the mixer and un-mute stuff, this has
already been done. Right now when I play a wav file, instead of the sound
coming out of the built in speakers its playing though the Mic jack (with
headphones plugged in). I've done a lot of searching and the only thing
I've found that might fix this problem is to reconfigure the output jacks
in Alsa but the post I saw this in did not say how this was done and I
can't seem to find any information in the Alsa documentation on how this
is done. I guess I would have to create a .asoundrc file but don't know
what needs to go in there to remap the the sound output to the laptop's
speakers instead of the Mic jack.

Any help on this will be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

--
-Gary