[linux-audio-user] Finale+WIne problem solved (sort of)

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sat Mar 6 12:07:13 EST 2004

Hello,

I have managed to start Finale 2002 under Wine with all icons displayed
correctly. WARNING: I have not yet used it extensively, so I'm not sure
if it is stable! (And I still have no MIDI input/output, but then I have
not really tried...)

To get it to work, I took the following files:

commdlg.*
comdlg32.*
commctl.*
comctl32.*

from a Windows 98 (first edition) machine where Finale 2002 was already
installed (and works fine).

I copied them into the \windows\system\ directory in wine's fake Windows
drive.

I put the following in wine's config:

in the [Version] section

"Windows" = "win98"

in the [DllOverrides] section:

"commdlg"      = "native"
"comdlg32"     = "native"
"commctl"      = "native"
"comctl32"     = "native"

And, this works.

I would send the Win98 files to anyone interested, except that I'm
afraid there may be licensing issues (as these are a part of win98). So
your safest bet is to get to a win98 box, install Finale (this is
important -- apparently it updates at least COMCTL32), and then move
these files onto the Linux box.

I'm *not* sure it will work with files from Windows NT/2000/XP.

AND: you need wine 20031212. I'm not sure about later versions (could
try, perhaps - but "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so unless something
is not working correctly, I won't try anytime soon). But
200308-something simply does not work (font stuff breaks).

I will duplicate this on Frank's corner forums, and after some testing,
submit this to the Wine HQ and Frank's Corner for inclusion in FAQs.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik