[linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 16:23:46 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:04:45PM -0500, Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> I would simply prefer to be able to hit 96K.  I definitely need an external
> A/D/D/A unit for sound quality reasons.  I can probably use external mic
> pre-amps.  I have been considering using a Presonus DIGImaxLt with a RME
> Hammerfall 9652 but I think it ends up being cheaper to get an outboard box
> with balanced ins and outs and throwing some kind of 8 channel mic pre in
> front of it, unless there was a less expensive ALSA compatible option that
> had 8 mic pres and 8 outs.

I went with the RME Digiface and PCI card, plus two Frontier Tango24
A/D+D/A convertors which were on special offer for a while here in the UK.

http://www.frontierdesign.com/pr_tango.htm

As you're in the U S of A, they may be even cheaper over there,
as *everybody* wants the 96K thing now.

Another idea I was considering was the CLM DB8000S 8 x mic-pre
which does 96K, and has an ADAT option (although that might only
be 8 tracks @ 48K, as I think there is a limit to ADAT) :

http://www.clmdynamics.com/db8000_frame.htm

This would give 8 inputs into a HDSP card, but you'd still need D/A
as well.

If you're recording a drumkit, well... you may one day want to use
ten channels, or twelve...

> > Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> > > I am operating with 2 main scenarios in mind.  I am a jazz musician so I
> > > would like to be able to record live shows and mix PA and Monitors for a
> > > quartet so that's about 8 in and 6 out.  I need fully balanced inputs to
> > > prevent hum on live gigs.  The second scenario is using the rig for my
> > > recording studio.  (a work that is still in progress)  I would need
> > > multiple inputs and outputs here as well.
> > >

> > Up to 44.1/48K? Or do you *require* 96K or 192K?

AFAIK, there are no 192K Linux-friendly soundcards yet.
Please correct me if you know something.

> > In all case I would recommend an external A/D/D/A unit.
> > I see the price going up...

Yep, well the subject did say "Pro Multitracking" ... :)

Happy choosing!
Malcolm Smith