Finale, was Re: [linux-audio-user] NoteEdit-2.5.0 : Octaviation (va-lines)

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Fri Mar 12 20:15:40 EST 2004

Mikhail Ramendik <mr at ramendik.ru> writes:

> Come to think of it... if there are coders interested in starting a
> project on notation editing/typesetting, I could involve a really
> professional psychologist, and work on design specs (I'm a tech writer
> so I know how to do those). But as for coding itself, I'm not even
> trying, two-screen Python scripts is my top coding achievement these
> days.
>
> (Or should I subscripe to LAD for this discussion? After all, Jamin was
> born in LAD/LAU before my eyes, and now it's a usable thing as I
> understand, so perhaps trying to get some development running is not
> that bad an idea?)

LAD is probably the right forum for starting such a project.

JAMin is a good example of what can be done in a short time with
enough interest and a small, talented team.  Not everyone on the team
needs to be a programmer.  Ron Parker (one of the JAMin developers) is
a professional audio engineer, not a programmer.  There are many
non-coding tasks, including design, documentation, testing, and
usability.

Almost any small project can benefit from good technical writing.
There are more good programmers than good writers, and many of the
best are not native speakers of English, which remains the common
language for most free software development.

But, be aware that music notation is a very difficult problem.  For my
purposes, lilypond does a fine job.  It *is* a bit hard to get started
with, but to me the results have been worth the effort.
--
  joq