[linux-audio-user] How can i set this up?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 16 06:33:23 EST 2004

Hallo,
Mark Williams (MWP) hat gesagt: // Mark Williams (MWP) wrote:

> > Mark Williams (MWP) hat gesagt: // Mark Williams (MWP) wrote:

> > > The bit i cant work out is how to do the apps into a dmix and out to brutefir.
> > >
> > > I know i can do this with JACK, but having stereo into brutefir, and 6 chans out
> > > isnt possible.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Because as stated in the Brutefir docs, you must have the same number of JACK
> inputs & outputs otherwise an error is produced.

Okay, but is this a problem?

Jack was designed to let applications talk to each other like they
would to hardware (and let them talk to hardware). ALSA was designed
to let applications flexibly use the hardware. So in your case, you
want applications to speak to each other so Jack is the way to go.

Supposed, you want several applications going to Brutefir, and
Brutefir go to the soundcard. So just set up Brutefir to connect to
the alsa_playback:X ports. Then start your other applications. They
should create some more ports like this with two instances of Pd
started:

$ jack_lsp
alsa_pcm:capture_1
alsa_pcm:capture_2
alsa_pcm:playback_1
alsa_pcm:playback_2
pure_data_0:input0
pure_data_0:input1
pure_data_0:output0
pure_data_0:output1
pure_data_1:input0
pure_data_1:input1
pure_data_1:output0
pure_data_1:output1

Now you can connect wildly with jack_connect or the qjackctl GUI. Just
do things like:

$ jack_connect pure_data_0:output1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
$ jack_connect pure_data_1:output0 alsa_pcm:playback_2
$ jack_connect alsa_pcm:capture_2 pure_data_0:input0

Or however you like it. You can connect more than one port to other
ports.

ciao