[linux-audio-user] How can i set this up?

Mark Williams (MWP) mwp at internode.on.net
Tue Mar 16 09:05:47 EST 2004

Thanks for all the help guys.

Im still trying to work out how JACK works... the end-user docs for its
operation are almost non-existant. All i seem to find are devel docs and simple
FAQ's like those on the JACK website.

I dont have X installed, so all these nice X windows JACK utils are useless to
me. And no... im not going to install X either.

If im going to use JACK to tie all this together, my first problem is getting it
working with a multichannel ALSA device.

The output card is a Envy24HT... i have asound.conf setup for a PCM per stereo
output (evny_1, envy_2, etc).

How do i tie these channels together to make a single 10 channel device that
JACK can then output to?

Ive tried using "type multi" for a PCM device in asound, but i cannot get it to
work.... even this doesnt work:

pcm.multi
{
	type multi;
	slaves.a.pcm "envy_1";
	slaves.a.channels 2;
	bindings.0.slave a;
	bindings.0.channel 0;
	bindings.1.slave a;
	bindings.1.channel 1;
}

where "envy_1" looks like:

pcm.envy_1
{
        type plug
        slave.pcm {
                type hw
                card 1
                device 0
                subdevice 0
        }
}

aplay to "envy_1" works fine.
aplay to "multi" says its working, but gives no sound output.

Ill leave it there....
Ill mention the second problem, when this is worked out.

Thanks again everyone.