[linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 22:13:24 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 10:49, Anahata wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:41:26AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Of course! But that wasn't my point. My point was he should really be
> > using a 24-bit external DAC. Of course, it's more money...
>
> As I said before, if the final product is going to be a 16 bit CD, you
> need to be able to monitor what gets sent to that, complete with the
> same dithering scheme that will be used for producing that CD.

A 24-bit converter will accept the 16-bit dithered output inside of a
24-bit stream. The bottom 8 bits are zeros. The upper 16 bits are the
same dithered bits that will get written to the CD. What's the problem?

A 16-bit converter will NEVER let him hear the difference between the
dithered stream and the original 24-bit audio. Even if you are only
going to a CD, which today is increasingly unlikely, there is still a
good reason to have more bits to listen to.

> If it's
> going to end up on DVD with more than 16 bits, then 16 bit isn't good
> enough for mastering at all. Maybe master to 24 bits with 24 bit
> moitoring, then separately test the conversion to 16 bits.

Certainly.