[linux-audio-user] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a 64-bit AMD laptop

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 10:41:33 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 07:21, sigir wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht at comcast.net> a écrit :
>
> > Yeah, but no one does 1394 support under Linux yet. Bummer.
>
> What about an adapter PCMCIA (in the laptop) ==> firewire? Does
> Linux see it as PCMCIA or as firewire ?

It sees it as both.

PCMCIA (cardbus) is a 'physical' interface, if you will. You system
would load a driver for that controller, but mostly it's a bridge to
whatever cardbus device you plug in.

If you plug in a cardbus 1394 adapter, then the system needs 1394
drivers. If you plug in a cardbus Ethernet adapter, then it needs
Ethernet drivers. If you plug in a cardbus USB 2.0 adapter, then the
system needs USB drivers.

Mostly the system should not card about the cardbus controller, but not
all of these controllers work real well, and they do use different
drivers.

The problem with 1394 under Linux that I was speaking of was really
support for devices like the Firewire 410 that was mentioned earlier.
That's not happening. To the best of my knowledge no one is writing
drivers for that. The conversation was had recently on the Linux1394
lists. One guy has written M-Audio asking for info so that possibly
someone could, but I don't think there's anything happening.

Chicken and egg. Why buy one if there's no support?

- Mark