[linux-audio-user] Poor SN ratio with high quality sound cards

Mark Williams (MWP) mwp at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 24 01:20:51 EST 2004

Really the only thing you can do is invest in a good quality external DAC and
run a SPDIF (optical preferably for ground isolation) signal to it.

It seems a lot of high quality soundcards now are quoting the S/N and other
stats of those of the DACs used on the card, not by measurment of what actually
comes out of the back of the card.

The main problem is the power supply in the PC.
Its just far too noisy to be able to produce good quality audio.